The Boiler Green Initiative Recycling Committee is a team dedicated to increasing recycling on Purdue’s campus. With this goal, we also focus on Reducing and Reusing our materials because the 3 R’s (Reduce-Reuse-Recycle) are together and are in that order for a reason! We strive to increase student and faculty awareness of Reduce-Reuse-Recycle opportunities on campus and in the community. This is an exciting multi-disciplinary committee where members form teams and lead the effort to make the campus greener in a variety of ways, such as handing out reusable bags at on-the-go locations to decrease plastic waste and recycling at home football games.
- Reduce-Reuse-Recycle Campaign with Purdue’s Sustainability team from the New Synergies Task Force. 10 educational posters put around campus in high traffic areas. (see purdue.edu/sustainability for more info.)
- Football Stadium Recycling! Over 92,000 lbs of glass, aluminum, cardboard, and plastic recycled in the past 2 years.
- Eliminating the Use of Cover Sheets in iTap Printing Labs
- Receiving grant money to put recycle bins in Purdue’s Stewart Center
- Convinced mini-marts at Purdue residence halls to switch to corn-based cups instead of Styrofoam
- Green Tree Plastics Bench Project – We are accumulating 400lbs of bottle caps to be made into a long-lasting plastic bench which will be placed somewhere on or near campus
- Football Stadium Recycling – This is our club’s biggest and longest lasting volunteer activity where we collect recyclables at all home football games
- Amazon Boxes Project – This is a brand new project to collect boxes and then hand them out to dormitory students at the end of the year to help with moving out